Variety of Chefs Ball

Have you ever been to a ball? I feel like the only sad Cinderella in the world to have never been. BUT, last week I went to meet the 9 chefs that have donated their time and skills to raise money for Variety, the childrens charity. And that is almost as good!


Variety - the childrens charity is dedicated to empowering Australian children who are sick, disadvantaged or have special needs to live, laugh, and learn. They host a (pun alert!) variety of functions and events every year, and will be holding a black tie BALL on 15th June at Brisbane Hilton. Just quickly, the chefs are;

Impressive!



If you know any chefs you might appreciate how difficult it is to get 9 chefs in a room together sober, but these award winning, busy chefs all happily worked together for the ball. The day before this they visited Narbethong  State Special School, to meet the children who will benefit from the ball, and take part in some wheel chair dancing. The children at this school are not only visually impaired  but most are in wheel chairs and heartbreakingly, many have been put into foster care by parents who are unable to cope. I cannot even imagine how hard that must be, just the thought made me cry. Embarrassing! Such a sook.


Anyway, wipe those tears away and lets get down to business. If you where watching my instagram feed last Thursday your stomach might have been grumbling.  Above is a sand crab ravioli, which may well be the best thing I have ever eaten. Behind it was a chicken daikon salad roll, which was refreshing and delightful.


Here is a little bit of heaven. A pickled vegetable salad, sushi on a spoon (OMG OMG OMG!!) and a perfect oyster with the most delicious, subtle dressing. I am very fussy about oysters and normally cannot bear any sauce polluting the heavenly morsel, but this dressing actually enhanced the oyster without taking away the iodine tang of the ocean. Wizardry.


A close up of sushi on a spoon. Seriously. Just divine.


 

At the front we have crumbed deep fried quail eggs with a soft center  on a nest with a pretty flower. I think it was Borage, the whole thing was delicious. At the back was very rich (I only managed 2. Shut up! It was for charity!) chocolate mousse with a raspberry center sitting on a slice of ....chocolate brownie maybe? It was garnished with a candied violet, and let me tell you I haven't had one of those for a few decades. I predict a resurgence.



Duck liver parfait sandwich, with a little wodge of orange jelly! YUM! Even vegetarian Redcliffe Style liked this, although she might have found the oyster to be a bit confronting. (See instagram for the funniest photo)


This, my friends, is a hollowed out quail egg filled with salted caramel. I don't know how but the actual egg shell tasted like candy. It was presented in a beautiful faux rustic box looking like the waiter had just popped off to the candyrush quail house to collect them for us. Then he left, so you will have to make do with my truck driver hands.


And cup cakes, ta da!!

If you have a fairy godmother who can help you get to the ball, make sure you give her these details.

2013 Variety of Chefs Ball

When     6.30PM Saturday 15th June 2013
Where    The Grand Ballroom, Hilton Hotel Brisbane
Dress     Black Tie/ Formal 
Cost       $250 per person or $2500 for a table of 10 guests
Website www.varietyofchefs.com.au
Tickets   07 3907 9300 or georgie@varietyqld.org.au

xx
(linking to Wordless Wednesday)

Labels: ,