Look, I'm not a Chicken Sexer, OK?

The Gentleman's class is hosting one dozen eggs, that have hatched into chickens over the last week or so. He was heartbroken that we didn't chickensit some over the weekend, but Mr BC & I thought it just wasn't a good idea - last year The Gentleman was gifted a small guinea pig that Happy Dog 'played' with until it died of a heart attack. In front of the Gentleman. Who was traumatised, & rightly so. I mean there wasn't any blood or anything, but there sure was a dead guinea pig. Anyway, we thought that if it happened again with classroom chickens it would be a bad bad thing..

So today, Mr BC picks up The Gentleman from school (he does this very occasionaly), & walks in the door with 3 baby chickadees in a box! It seems we are to chickensit after all. The wee chicks are sooo cute, they look like they belong on an easter hat. And guess what? We can keep them if we want!

Um, no.

I don't mind defying the council & keeping a few chooks, actually I'm quite looking forward to it. But we havent got a chicken coop sorted & they wont survive the dog's maniacal playtime for long without the protection of chickenwire. Also, they are too small (for my untrained eyes) to tell if they are boys or girls, & I dont want a noisy non egg laying rooster.

Also, I only want black chickens...