So, technically, these are not skins; and I guess to be honest the topping could be deemed less than pizza like, but hey, it's the VIBE man, let's go with it.
I wanted to eat potato skins with the cheesy bacony goodness on top, but I wanted it to be a little healthy and I had sweet potatoes in the fridge, so this was born. Delicious! And perfect on a hot night with a cool crunchy salad on the side.
Sweet Potato Skins with Pizza Topping
Ingredients
- Sweet potatoes! I used about 2 kgs of smallish ones.
- Olive Oil
- Ham, shaved, from the deli
- Spring Onions, chopped
- Grated Cheese (I used Cheddar)
- Avocado, thinly sliced
- Sour Cream and Chili sauce, to serve
- Salad of your choice
Method
- Peel the sweet potatoes. I know, we are throwing those skins away, they are covered in dirt. You could scrub them instead of peeling, but I peeled them and gave the peelings to the chickens.
- Halve them length ways, brush with olive oil and roast in a hot oven until crispy on the outside and cooked through.
- Sprinkle with some shredded ham, shallots and cheese. Go wild and use any topping you'd like! You can see that some of these where toned completely down with no spring onions at all, for the youngest monkey who is a picky eater. Anyway, suit yourself with the toppings.
- Pop back in the oven until the cheese has melted and browned sufficiently.
- Drizzle with sour cream, avocado and chili sauce (I heart Sriracha), serve with some salad and you are good to go!
I've got to tell you, this was perfection on a stinking hot night after little league baseball, washed down with a very cold beer; but it would also work as a great side dish for a larger buffet, perhaps with some roast pork or lamb, or some prawns charred on the BBQ. Bring it on, Summer!