I think it's a common misconception amongst my family and friends that thanks to blogging, I lead a glamorous life. The reality is...well, the glamour is a bit thin on the ground to be honest. It's very easy to stay hunched over my laptop with occasional breaks for the school run or a grocery shop. So when I am invited somewhere glamorous, it is Very Exciting.
Last week I attended the Gala Premiere of Uncovering the Brisbane Look, a documentary directed by Hailey Bartholomew and featuring Kirstie Clements (former Editor of Vogue Australia) as well as a large contingent of the the most important fashion people in Brisbane. The documentary was AMAZING. An interesting, informative assessment of Brisbane's journey through the global fashion world, as recounted by various fashion luminaries, at times it was laugh out loud funny. Highlights for me included Julie Grbac talking candidly about her experiences on Fashion Runway and how she lost all her money before designing the uniforms for Virgin Australia; Lydia Pearson of Easton Pearson who is THE most humble, open, sweetly delightful person I have ever had the pleasure of meeting; Dr Suzi Vaughan, QUT Vice Chancellor who talked about the very first design classes that QUT held, and how to everyone's surprise it wasn't all Hibiscus laden resort wear; and Lindsay Bennett who spoke admiringly about the volunteers at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, because he never volunteers for anything himself. He was very funny, and I suppose his role as MD for Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia doesn't leave him a lot of time for volunteering!

Please excuse my hideous man hands, and focus instead on how excited we where! Rachel is wearing a cocktail frock from Dogstar, I am wearing a silk creation from TS14, which I loved because it covered my mummy tummy.
What I loved about the documentary was that it showcased Brisbane fashion as being world class, and indeed it is. If there is still any lingering cultural cringe about Brisbane being a sleepy country town, it must only exist in Australia. It allowed me to feel that following the beat of your own drum and creating your own fresh style is so much better than blindly following trends from abroad. It was empowering.
Deborah Quinn, Milliner Collector, is wearing a remarkable hat that encapsulates the friendly spirit of Brisbane. To her left is Hailey Bartholomew, Director of Uncovering the Brisbane Look, and creator of 365Grateful. I wanted to take so many photos but there where so many proffesional photographers running around, I felt a bit like an impostor with just my trusty iPhone!
After the documentary there was a champagne reception upstairs at the GOMA, overlooking the Brisbane River and the city skyline. These podiums where inhabited by a rotation of models who showed designs by other clients of Queens Plaza. Except for when I dared Redcliffe Style to model her frock...
And then I could hardly not do it myself, could I? I don't think Mercedes Benz will be calling me anytime soon for my services at Fashion Week...
View from the after party at Black Bird Bar and Grill.
Thanks for having me, Queens Plaza and Uncovering the Brisbane Look! Not only did I have a great time, I feel more passionate than ever about Brisbane Fashion, and am now saving up for an Easton Pearson suit. Maybe I will become a fashion blogger after all, you know I love to rock my own style....
Uncovering the Brisbane Look is currently screening at Queens Plaza Shopping Centre.
Linking to IBOT today
xx