As you may recall, I spent last weekend in Queensland's Gold Coast, with my sister and 6 of her oldest/newest friends celebrating her Festival of 40. The weekend was epic in more ways than one, so let me break it down for you.
 |
| Happy Birthday to my lovely sister Cheryl! |
The Weird.
I was a bit rushed getting out the door on Thursday. It felt like I had 100 last minute things to do before dropping the BC menfolk off at Baseball and hitting the road in time to pick up the ladies from Cooloongatta Airport. This was probably because I
did have 100 last minute things to do, but anyway. I managed to leave Brisbane a little early, and the traffic was kind. I'd been on the freeway for about an hour when it started getting dark and I reached into my bag to find my glasses.....not there. I'd left them at home.
Der! Luckily I found my prescription sunglasses so I was able to wear those, even after it got dark. I might have looked like a knob driving along wearing sunglasses at night, but at least I could see.
I got to the airport with at least 30 minutes to spare, so I made myself comfortable in a cafe, and went to pull out my phone to check how my online life was going, to find my phone.......not there. FOR REAL!! I HAD LEFT MY PHONE AT HOME!! Bloody shit cakes! I went through all the stages of shock - grief, denial, disbelief, stoicism, then back again. After some deep breathing exercises I decided it was going to be a social experiment that I could blog about when life got back to normal. Fuck it was hard.
The Good
I was so happy to see my sister and her friends that I didn't pay much attention to the car, which had over heated between the airport and the hotel; and in any case, when I checked on it a few hours after parking it was fine, so I cheerfully got on with the business of enjoying the weekend.
And I did! I had a ball. We drank, we ate out at some cool places, including
Bazaar, &
Koo Koo Tepanyaki. We ate some dodgy kebabs at 2am. We drank at some crazy places like
Fix bar at the Hilton, and
Melba's, which is apparently the stalwart dive of the Gold Coast. I'd say this was true, but I'd been drinking, so what do I know..We stumbled into a bucks party where the groom was dressed as a lady bird. I told him
Well done on getting married young man! and he said the sweetest thing; "
You should see the girl I'm getting married to, WAY outta my league." Nawwwwwww!
Such a sweetie, it's a shame he went outside and got beaten up for being gay, while the sleazy best man tried it on on the dance floor. Lady bird man returned in his regular clothes, with only a bump on his head. Terrible behaviour, I hope the police find those homophobic dickheads and they get what they deserve.
We did some shopping and bought some incredible shoes on sale, we swam in the hotel pool and lounged around poolside. We ate THE best laksa in the universe, where I was astonished to see my sister add so much chili that her mouth went numb. We caught up with various family and friends including my beautiful cousin that I need to see more of. We had an old school Chinese dinner in an old school Chinese restaurant with a lazy Susan on the table. We laughed a lot, we napped, we had long deep and meaningful conversations. I couldn't have asked for a better Thursday, Friday and Saturday. It was amazing. I wish the weekend could have lasted longer, and I'm very excited that we are talking about making it an annual event.
So we've had the Weird, and the Good. Where is the Bad part about this weekend? Well may you ask! Tune in tommorow to find out.
It was pretty bad.
xx