Thursday, September 6, 2012

Moon Tan

Caspar's cousin. Milk Bottle Skin. Moon Tan.
 
That's me. Not albino, just enough Irish ancestry to burn after a few minutes in the sun.
Or slather on SPF30+ then sit in the shade for 4 hours, to get sunburned. (true story)
 
via
In the September issue of Australian Instyle Magazine, Kath and Kim judge white leather in Style by Jury. Kim says 'Someone like Madonna shouldn't go near white as it is too matchy matchy with her own skin". Say what you will about Madonna looking like Iggy Pop, she sure does own her pale skin.

via
Growing up in a beach side suburb, circa Puberty Blues era, having pale skin wasn't something to be proud of. Proper sunscreen wasn't invented, and even if it was, I wasn't going to wear white zinc! I spent all my pocket money on a coveted tin of Reef Oil, and burnt myself to a blistery crisp. When the Reef Oil ran out, I used to slather my legs with baby oil and tan during school lunch times, just like the other girls.

Dita Von Teese is another gorgeous cousin of Casper, as is her ex. Not much of a resemblance, although according to photos, I do have my mouth open a lot.


 
via
Again, I don't wear a hat much.(although clearly, I should) 
The resemblance is closer, figuratively speaking...

via
  There has been a significant shift in sun awareness in the last few decades, yet a tan (either acquired under the sun, a sun lamp, or sprayed on) is still the preferred look. No one seems to have embraced the moon tan. Which is a shame, because for once, I might be in fashion.

Andy Warhol rocked his white skin, and he was always in fashion. The expression is similar, although I do colour the grey out of my hair and I never let my frau brows get this bad.

via
 So I guess what I am saying is this; for the life of me, I can't figure out why a tan is still so fashionable. It doesn't convey health or vitality, even though it used to.
 
Like smoking used to be cool, but no one thinks so now.
 
What do you think?

via

Enquiring minds want to know!
 
xx

6 comments:

  1. Frau brows! Hahahaha

    I don't like tans. Obviously not on myself but I'm not really fond of the look on other people either. I really don't understand the attraction, especially when so few get it right (oompa loompa anyone!?)

    Stick with me kid, I own the moon tan! In my circle, a tan is definitely frowned upon. Lilly white is all the rage. Although I am beginning to think my moon tan is now turning into a rainbow tan as I fill my skin up with artwork.

    But that moon tan provides a great canvas to begin with! It's win win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering I use to sunbake in baby oil (thanks to the advice of my mother), I am usually fairly pale. I tan easily. I do a light fake tans for special occasions but that is only to match my legs to my arms and face. Rxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in North Queensland, also in the baby oil era and I've got the keratoses to prove it. Frau brows. You made my day. Still laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bwahaha!! I have to say that some people do wear 'white' quite well. Coming from a Greek background my skin is naturally olive and if I haven't had much time in the sun I don't go white, I tend to turn a few (not quite 50) shades of grey! I can't be bothered wasting time actually sunbaking but I'm a big believer in getting a little natural vitamin D here and there :-). Frau Brows bwahahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to lay on FOIL and cover my body in OIL.

    Like a freaking turkey.

    The last time I sunbaked I was pregnant with Moo... she turns 21 next month.

    White is the new tan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you know that I was one of your gang with the baby oil( like yesterday...)And how about no hat no play? What freakin hat?! Oh what I would have given for a tan back then. We didn't even have the fake tan option (did we?) and living by the beach was just added cruelty. I do think it's a lot more fashionable now to be pale than it's ever been before thank God! Those teenage girls sunbaking all day are gonna be so sorry once they hit mid 40s. Sun and ciggarettes are the biggest skin agers? Great. I wish I had done a Nicole Kidman and covered up, her skin is amazing (not to mention not smoking for half my life or more - ugh) Embrace the pale I say and hopefully my daughters will look better at 45 than I do :) PS my father in law has called me 'insipid' for the last 22 years - nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...