Koalas in heat. NOT a sponsored post!

 
If you live in the greater Brisbane area and you are looking for a small scale family adventure, I would recommend Alma Park Zoo. It is less than an hour's drive north of the city's centre, and is very reasonably priced. It is not as large or as flash as Australia Zoo, and certainly not as grand as Sydney's Taronga Zoo; but it certainly is a pleasant way to spend a day. Our family pass cost just over $100.
 
 
The BC family loves zoos. When teenage Daughter was little we had annual passes to Taronga, and visited every few weeks. It never got boring. Well not for me. But it may have ruined Teenage Daughter for all other zoos because today she opted to stay in bed with her kindle, leaving the 4 of us to set off with our picnic basket.
(Did you just say that in Yogi Bear's Voice? I did!)
 

OMG CAMELS!!
Alma Park Zoo feels like some one's great grandad had a bit of land and loved to garden, and then got a bit passionate about keeping pets. This is kind of true - it was a market garden until 1969 when it was turned into a native animal sanctuary. It was registered as a zoo in 1973 and was then able to keep exotic animals. Like Camels.
 

I might look cute, but I will happily wee on you if you are lucky enough to get a cuddle.
 
There are lots of native animals including koalas and an albino wallaby. There are also Tamarinds, Baboons, Spider Monkeys and Lemurs. There are a lot of hands on opportunities, which the boys loved - you buy feed as you enter the zoo.
 

For god's sake, keep your fingers straight!
The petting zoo area is very popular with families, and you get the feeling the animals are very happy to be there. They are very keen to be fed. VERY.
 
 

OMG! They have a PICNIC BASKET!
 
 

And what can I do YOU for, young man?
 
 

That fence isn't just there to keep you out. It's for your own protection.
 
They almost seem a bit...I don't know...jaded?



I mean, is that an eye roll from that sheep?
 


Bonding with wildlife. It's a spiritual thing.
The Gentleman loved this Kangaroo so much...
 
Come on, you will love our dog!
 
....he recruited his brother to help entice the roo back to our car. Luckily the roo was having none of it, he knows he's on a good thing at Alma Park Zoo.
 

Keep your distance, Emu!
Emus are generally inquisitive, curious and sometimes aggressive creatures. This one was fairly tame and didn't mind being patted, but I know from experience that emus have no qualms putting their head into your bag to steal an apple, or help yourself to a bag of hot chips you might have in your hand. I wouldn't like one as a pet.
 

 
For me, the best thing about a zoo is the gardens. This zoo has won numerous awards for their  bushland gardens. At one stage it became a palm nursery and transported many old palms from Brisbane. It has some paved pathways but many are unfinished tracks. It also has a few fountains and grassed areas for picnics and bbqs.
 

Monkey Boy, stalking a peacock who couldn't care less.
If I had a bushland garden, I would definitely have peacocks roaming around. But only a few, they sound hideous. Worse than koalas in heat. Click the link, I dare you.
 

One whopper of a craft project!
I always come home inspired with ideas to create my own restful lush tropical gardens. For example, this 4 metre tall pot would be awesome in my yard, and could double as a spa. 
 

Ignore those drink bottles, we want FIZZY DRINK!!
 
The other great thing about a quiet family adventure is enjoying some time with your family.

Or maybe it's lollies, whatever.
 
 
What is your favourite way to enjoy time with your family?
 
xx
 

Labels: