Monday, August 13, 2012

3 Things to do with Frozen Puff Pastry

Sometimes, I find myself with a packet of puff pastry in the freezer without a solid plan. Once it is defrosted it kinda has to be used up within a reasonable time frame, and so you have to think of puff pastry options fast. Just the perfect sort of kitchen fiddling on a cold afternoon.


Option One - Apple Pastry
  1. Cut some sheets of pastry into 4 squares (or whatever shape you fancy, squares eliminate wastage.)
  2. Sprinkle each square with sugar.
  3. Arrange super thin slices of apple on each square, and sprinkle again with sugar. I found one apple was the perfect amount for one sheet of pastry.
  4. Brush with milk or beaten egg.
  5. Bake in a hot oven for about 10 minutes, until the pastry is cooked.
Yum! This is nice hot with some vanilla ice cream or at room temperature, with a cup of coffee.

Apple Pastry? Don't mind if I do!

Option Two - Sausage Rolls
This awesome recipe comes from a friend named Karri. Thanks Karri!
  1. Cut each sheet of pastry into two halves, so you have two rectangles.
  2. Place some raw sausages along the middle of each rectangle. I take the sausage out of it's casing because I'm posh like that, heh.
  3. Paint the long edge with milk or beaten egg, roll up and press down to seal. I had some pastry malfunction issues so I used a fork to ensure the edges where sealed.
  4. Brush with milk or beaten egg, cut into about 6 smaller rolls, and bake in a med oven for about 20-30 minutes until cooked.

Sometimes, the weather demands a sausage roll or 2. Shown much bigger than actual size.

Option Three - Get creative with the filling
And let's not call them sausage rolls anymore, even though they are made the same way, mkay?
  1. Filling one - some leftover wonton mixture I found in the freezer (Pork mince, ginger, shallot, an egg, sesame oil.) I sprinkled these with sesame seeds.
  2. Filling two - thawed and drained frozen spinach, grated cheese, white pepper and an egg.
  3. Filling three - mashed pumpkin with shallots and feta.
These where all eaten before I got a photo, or even got to eat any myself! (OK, I had 2 spinach ones).

Add caption
What is your favourite thing to do with puff pastry? Do you buy it frozen or make it yourself?

xx

3 comments:

  1. Always have frozen on hand Lisa. Its a great thing to have for lunches, desserts or entertaining. I feel naked without it.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummo! my favourite pastry dessert is two squares of peppermint (or caramel) chocolate wrapped in pastry, sprinkle with sugar, bake 15 min, heavenly with ice cream!

    I always have pastry in the freezer, not brave enough to try making my own, although I do make my own shortcrust pastry (sometimes)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u for these awesome quick ideas, I love them. I've always got spare puff pasty in the fridge cos I love to make tarte tatin but it takes longer... So the pastry remains frozen. This is great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...