Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Dragging Crap Home

The other day I was out walking when I spotted an entertainment unit on the side of the road. You know those massive big arse things that everyone had to have in their living room 10 years ago, to house the big arse TV, the DVD player, and your DVD collection? It's a shame they are kicked to the curb, because sometimes they are very sturdy, nicely made pieces of furniture. I see them everywhere - no one wants them any more because your regular big arse flat screen TV can just attach to the wall. So when I saw this, I tried to drag it home. But despite being on casters, it was too heavy, so I asked Mr BC to go and get it for me.


I think this was just cheap pine with a bit of MDF thrown in. Apart from one of the hinges being broken it was very sturdy, but it didn't matter because I didn't need those hinges anyway; and it was pretty ugly, that stain is horrendous! It was a very simple upcycle, this is what we did.
  • Take off the back.
  • Remove the dividing slat in the bottom.
  • Cut around the top, leaving a bit of side structure.
  • Cut around completely at the middle shelf line.
  • Remove middle shelf.
  • Use one of the discarded side sections to create a new back.
  • Screw front doors on so that they stay closed.
  • Put in a few supporting slats across the back.
  • Add hinges.
  • Paint white.
And here is what it looks like!


Still not clear?



It's a toy box!

It is super sturdy, and there was hardly any actual construction involved. It is still on casters so is easy to move. I might paint it a different colour one day. I might even add some upholstery to the top.


But for now, it is doing a good job containing ALL the chaos!

xx

9 comments:

  1. Hee hee! I LOVE Cookie Monster making a break for it!! Great job, I could never be arsed to do something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what a great job! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever cookie you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am yet another one of those people with a big entertainment unit sitting around. If I were to sell it I would get next to nothing so it is sitting until I can get to it and repurpose somehow.

    I think your toybox worked out great, I would not have thought to turn it into that, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so clever. I would never have thought to do that. Rx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! That is awesome! Y'all did a perfect job. Now you've given me a good idea for our girl's room. I'll be keeping me eyes open for discarded entertainment centers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! You did such a great job!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...what a great transformation! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you have the toy box in mind when you lugged it home? Too clever, looks great. And yes to upholstery! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...